Magnitude of Disability in India
As per National Sample Survey Organization's (NSSO) Survey 2002, the number of disabled persons in the country is 18.49 million and they formed about 1.8% of the total estimated population. The census 2001 indicates that 2.2% of the total population is affected by disability.
As per NSSO:
- About 8.4% and 6.1% of the total estimated households in rural and urban India, respectively reported to have at least one disabled person.
- About 10.63% of the disabled persons suffered from more than one type of disabilities.
- The prevalence of disability was 1.85% among rural population and 1.50% among urban population.
- About 55% of the disabled in India were illiterate and about 9% completed 'secondary and above' level of education.
These statistics highlight the need for dissemination of information on prevention of diseases causing disability, early identification, rehabilitation, education and economic independence of persons with disabilities.
About Disability Line
Due to lack of awareness among the persons with disabilities and the community, early identification and rehabilitation process gets delayed and also the benefits of services offered by Government and Non–Government Organisations towards the rehabilitation of persons could not be availed of by the target group. Therefore, there is a need to launch a disability line for enabling the public to have easy access to information regarding disabilities for more enabling them to avail the services in their neighborhood which would facilitate meaningful rehabilitation and to know the schemes and concessions of the Government.
We hope that Disability line will bridge this gap by providing information related to disabilities.
Disability Line is accessible round the clock (24 hours) through an Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS). Call centre facility is available on all working days during working hours. The call agent will provide information on specific queries which may not have been covered in the IVRS.
Objectives of the Disability Line are:
- To provide information on diagnosis, treatment, counseling, education, employment, Government schemes and facilities related to disabilities round the clock and to know the service facilities in their neighborhood.
- To implement a help desk for the handicapped, which is accessible across the country.
Disability Line has technical uniqueness and features of Speech Recognition (ASR), Fax on demand, Mobile Connect/SMS, E–mail Management and Recording. ASR will enable the caller to retrieve the information easily by directly naming the district, instead of choosing from a lengthy list of district names. Fax on demand will provide forms of DRS and NHFDC. Those who register for SMS & E–Mail will receive messages and information related to disability.
Disability line is one of the biggest IVRS in terms of the volume of information with varied channels of information dissemination.
The information can be retrieved in English, Hindi and Regional language.
Benefits of Disability Line
The information provided in the Disability Line will benefit Persons with Disabilities, NGOs and General Public.
Disability Line provides information about:
- Different types of disabilities
- Diagnosis and intervention strategies
- Diagnostic and therapy centres
- Educational opportunities & List of Special schools
- Vocational training and job opportunities
- Special Employment Exchanges
- Government Schemes & facilities
- Organizations working for PWDs
- Prevention and management of Disabilities
Disability Line provides:
- DRS/NHFDC forms by fax
Disability Line enables:
- Networking of organizations for PWDs
Advertising Services with Disability Line:
- Any service provider in the field of disability can enroll in Disability Line about their services. It is done free of cost for Government agencies and for those who provide services free of cost. Those who charge for their services have to pay a nominal registration fee of Rs.1000/- per annum for enrolling their services in the referral network of the disability line.
How To Retrieve Information From Disability Line?
- Dial - 022-155206 and 26404019/24/43 in Maharashtra-Goa Telecom Circle
Dial - 011-29825094/95/96 in Delhi Circle.
Dial - 0612 - 2271805/2272359 in Bihar Telecom Circle
Dial - 0522-2964058/2967359/2967360 in Uttar Pradesh Telecom Circle
Dial 044 - 24744732/24744737 in Tamil Nadu Telecom Circle
Dial 0755 - 2685954/55/56 in Madhya Pradesh Telecom Circle
- After welcome message select the language
- Select the required option from the main menu
- Select the sub menu options till specific information is played
- Any time, main menu can be accessed by pressing ‘9’,
- To repeat the information press ‘0’, To end the call press ‘8’.